I’ve always wanted to try cooking stuffed peppers, but for some reason I just never have. To be honest, I’ve never even had stuffed peppers except for those frozen ones. I was pretty impressed with how these turned out. And as you can see, I couldn’t decide what color to make, so.. why chose?
Let me know what you think!
What you’re gonna need
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 cup of marinara sauce (I used Rao’s to keep the carbs low)
- 3 peppers
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Italian style)
- Handful of mini pepperoni, or just regular size.. they all taste the same anyway 😉
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons of basil
- Salt & pepper
Let’s get to cookin’
- Start off by cooking your turkey. Be sure you’re breaking the turkey up in small pieces.
- While the turkey is cooking, cut the peppers and remove the seeds and stems.
- Drain the turkey and return it back to the pan.
- Add cream cheese to the turkey meat and mix well. Add half your marinara sauce once the cream cheese is mixed completely.
- Divide the grated cheese between the peppers and sprinkle it in the bottom of each pepper. This is to help absorb some of the liquid that comes out of the peppers while they cook. And it taste flippin’ awesome so..
- Add turkey meat to the peppers, leaving a little room for the cheese on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining marinara to any extra turkey you may have and pour it around the peppers. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have any extra turkey. Just pour the sauce around the peppers.
- Sprinkle pepperoni over the peppers, and top with cheese. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Cover and bake for 20 min. Uncover and broil until cheese is brown and your mouth is watering.
Serving size: one half pepper. Carb count is based on one serving size
Red pepper: 4.5g net carbs/5.5g total
Green pepper: 4g net carbs/5g total
Yellow peppers: 7g nets carbs/8g total