These worked out pretty awesome for my hamburgers. I sorta forgot that the dough expands 😳 so I had some pretty hefty sized hamburger buns 😂.
These buns do expand, but they don’t really rise that much. So when you’re patting them into buns, make them a bit taller than you typically would. I’m not saying to turn them into The leaning Tower of Pisa, but give them a bit more height than you typically would for bread.
What you’re going to need
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- Garlic powder to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs
- Sesame seeds (optional)
Let’s get to cookin‘
- Preheat over to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Place cream cheese and mozzarella cheese in a bowl and place in the microwave for 30 second. Mix together until blended.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in the bowl. Dough should form a ball. If the dough is a bit sticky then allow to cool in the fridge for 5 minutes or add a bit more grated Parmesan.
- Form dough into the shape of a hamburger bun. *this dough does expand, so be sure you’re spacing them a little bit a part.
- If you’re using sesame seeds — take a bit of egg wash (I actually just used a bit of the egg whites that were left in the shells from the recipe) and brush a little on top of your hamburger buns, then sprinkle your sesame seeds on top. This will hold them onto the buns.
- Place the uncooked hamburger buns on a pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until you notice the bottoms start to brown. Cooking time will vary based on ovens. Allow the bread to cool before cutting, or the bread will flatten out and not hold its shape very well.
- Slice and enjoy!
Recipe makes 5 buns
Total carbs: 5g carbs per hamburger bun
(This includes top and bottom, not just one piece)